Stripping my friend's old computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IF06

In Runtime
Okay, my friend's computer is recent.

Though he knows nothing about the type, brand, stats of the computer, I'm assuming his computer is decently compatible since it's only two years old.

What I want to know is that if I take his hard drive, would I just be able to plug it in and expect a drive folder to show up when I access my computer?

Or is there other procedures?

I'm planning to take his cd drive to, if you have any advice on this, that would be helpful but I'm pretty sure I don't need help with the cd drive installation.

That's going to be a problem. Exactly what would I need to do in the BIOS?

Oh, and what exactly happens to the drives that are already in the hard drive I'm taking from him?

I don't believe his drive has been completely erased.

with the hard drive, just make sure you don't install it as a master drive... (with the OS on it) or it will not work... you'll have to install it as a slave type drive, and the OS should see it as such

My friend tells me to go into the BIOS to make sure the main drive is the bootup drive or something like that.

Upon entering My Computer, I should see the new drive and I should format it to my preference.

Now that solves my HD issue.

What about the CD drive, I'm taking?

You shouldn't have any problems installing the CD drive. If you have a spare IDE connecter branching off of your existing drive, just set the new drive's jumper to Cable select, plug in the IDE cable/power cable and boot up.

Yes, if I knew what the jumper is. >.>

What I see is a ribbon from my regular drive to my motherboard, with a slave connector, so I'm just going to plug it in there....

And that's it? T_T

The jumper is the little (usually grey, could be blue) connector that's connected onto 2 pins at once. Look at somewhere on your drive. It should say either on the top label, or just above those pins where the jumper is, what pin combinations mean what. So you can either set it to Slave or Cable Select, and then plug it in to the ribbon cable that brances off of your existing drive.

jeee..either I dont have it or I'm an idiot.

Can you show me an image of what it looks like?

Well, here's kind of a 'rough' one for ya:

c00366527.jpg

It's the grey rectangle.

Thenthere should be either on the label sticker, or engraved in the plastic, what pins the jumper should be set on to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom