Failed File and Transfer Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmootill

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Recently, My manager tried to reformat his C: drive. Before doing so, he used the MS File & Settings Transfer Wizard to back up his Mydocs, etc to a secondary HD. After reinstall, when trying to restore files, it says essentially "error copying/opening file, please check that you have enough disk space". (sorry, atm, I don't have the exact error message.) Well, he has plenty of disk space, so don't think that's the issue. I guess it may be a corrupt .DAT file. He's been talking to Microsoft for help and as of yet, even they are unable to tell him how / if it can be restored. Anyone have input on this one? He's tried copying the files (about 7 of them at approx. 2GB a piece) to his C: drive and restoring from there to no avail.

Thanks in advance, guys,

Shmoo

P.S. Hiya Mikey!

Heya Shmoo!
Interesting...did he try to log in as another user and then try the file restore? The .dat file may be in use when he's logged in as himself. What program is it for...I'm assuming Outlook?

Word,
Mike

Hiyas Mikey!

Actually, it's the built-in "File and Settings Transfer Wizard" that he used. It backed up hs My Documents and My pictures, which are the most important things he needs back. It's a fresh reinstall, and he is using the exact username as before, including caps, etc, and has also tried the built-in Admin account to try it to no avail. He's pretty knowledgeable about computers in general. That's about all i know.

Thanks for the reply

Shmoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom