Move aside AS5....

Status
Not open for further replies.
MX-2? So what's so new that it's going to be so much more improved? It's 99.9% Pure Silver.... What else can you change? SERIOUSLY!!! What did they like find some new magic thermally conductive material and shoved it in the remaining 1% in between the zinc oxide, aluminum oxide and boron nitride particles?
They can alter the molecular construction.

It's not necessarily what elements it has that makes the difference, but how it is formed.

They can alter the molecular construction.

It's not necessarily what elements it has that makes the difference, but how it is formed.

Yea? Alter the molecular construction? So like, the molecules better fill the microscopic imperfections in the heat sinks & CPU IHS's? Wow. Interesting.

not.

Yea? Alter the molecular construction? So like, the molecules better fill the microscopic imperfections in the heat sinks & CPU IHS's? Wow. Interesting.
How much do you know about chemistry?

The molecular construction can make a huge difference to the properties of something.

Take proteins for example. If a protein misfolds, it can dramatically change the way it functions. That's why Folding@home exists.

Also, take graphite, and diamond. They're both made of 100% carbon (well, ideally, anyway)
But diamond is so much stronger than graphite is.

I don't know what's different exactly between MX-2 and AS5, but you can see that they are different, from the reviews. Even if their composition (99.9% silver) isn't.

actually, thermal compounds dont use 99.9% silver... they use silver which is 99.9% pure, which in total makes up only a small fraction of the compound mixture.

im right there with you on the protein misfolding. i study that stuff at school, and we have our own gigantic array of computers which do our folding sims. cool stuff.

actually, thermal compounds dont use 99.9% silver... they use silver which is 99.9% pure, which in total makes up only a small fraction of the compound mixture.
I see.

im right there with you on the protein misfolding. i study that stuff at school, and we have our own gigantic array of computers which do our folding sims. cool stuff.
Interesting. And yeah, protein folding simulations take a lot of CPU power. How many computers would you say is in the array?

we have - i think - 3 arrays of 20 computers each. doesnt sound spectacular, but when you see 60 core 2 duo computers crammed into one room, its pretty fantastic.

whoa...that's awesome. I wish I had all that folding under my name. Are they folding SMP or regular?

im not sure. i think its SMP (symmetric mutli-proc, right?), but to be honest, i dont do the maintenance work with the arrays... i mainly just do the science-y crap and send it on over to be processed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom