Wired LAN no longer working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
A while back I got a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Vista. Pretty much new everything.
I put it all together and it worked nicely :)
But a day later the wired LAN stops working. I could tell the adapter knew when it was plugged in and stuff. Like I could unplug the power to router and Windows would say "Local Area Connect 1 has been disconnected!" or something like that. But it wouldn't ever connect to the internet. So I was just like screw it... so I pulled out an old PCI wireless adapter, and that worked fine under Vista.
Then I got tired of Vista because it was crashing all my game :\
So I installed XP, thinking my wired LAN adapter would be fixed! But it still wasn't.. and worse yet, XP didn't even recognize it as a piece of hardware. It's not even in the device manager list. So I was like whatever I'll continue to use wireless. So that worked for about a month. Then this morning I fired up utorrent as I always do before heading out the door and I'm sitting there reading some news or something when all the sudden I get this tooltip in the bottom right of my screen that says "Wireless Network not connect..." and I was like well I don't have time for this so I walked out the door. When I came home, it still wasn't working. My laptop, which is on the same wireless network still works. My computer can see the network, but it can't connect to it. It knows it's there, but when I try to connect it just says "Waiting on the network..." for a few minutes and then gives up...
Any ideas???
1) How can I fix the wired adapter? Or is it a sure thing that it's dead for good? (it's the built in one on the P5N-E SLI)
2) If I can't make the wired work, how can I make the wireless work?
Thanks in advance!

1) How can I fix the wired adapter? Or is it a sure thing that it's dead for good? (it's the built in one on the P5N-E SLI)

It doesn't show up in device manager, that means it's not enable in BIOS. Enable it, install driver. You might have to check jumper setting just in case.

2) If I can't make the wired work, how can I make the wireless work?
Thanks in advance!

Re-enter your wireless information again. Go to Control Panel>Local Area Network>Wireless adapter>Properties>Wireless tab. Delete the old entry, click OK. Re-enter it, see what happens.

Thank you for your response.
Yes, everything pertaining to the onboard LAN is enabled.

I'm not quite sure where you want me to go for the wireless thing however. There is no Wireless Adapter option in control panel?

Edit: I meant Local Area Network option. There is a network and internet option.. but there is no Wireless Adapter option inside that either...

Windows says "...the network might be refusing access to this computer". How can I make sure this isn't the case? Because it seems like it is... my computer can SEE the wireless networks, but can't connect.

Reboot the PC .. is ur pc next to the router ? this is a bug in vista ... it dont like connecting to Routers more than 5m away

im not running vista.
lol and i've restarted my computer soooooooo many times. so thats not the problem. yes, the router is less than 5 ft away.
it started working a little bit when i booted without the wireless NIC once, and then shutdown and reinserted it. but it worked for like 5 hrs and then stopped again.

im thinking about getting a new wired NIC. when i search newegg though all i get is that killer NIC thats like 150$. thats rediculous. edit: oh, my bad. TWO HUNDRED and fifty dollars for a network processing unit... gah what a gimmick lol.

It's not even in the device manager list.
put it in a different PCI slot

Or try taking it out, booting up and shutting down again, then putting it back in and booting up again.
If you still can't see it, try using the add hardware wizard

Have you got the drivers for it?

*edit*
I misread. I thought you had a PCI wired card.
Try what Law said, see if the wired adapter is disabled in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom