OS and software quesiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
Is it worthwile to create a partition on a hard drive for my OS and use the remaining space for other programs such as games, photo editing, etc.

Or would it be better to use one hard drive for OS and programs and a second drive for games.

Do you have just one or more drives? For a single drive system all games and programs would be installed onto the C primary partition for the best results. The second could then be set aside for storage and backup or perhaps a dual boot with another OS there. For two drives you can still split the host for OS and programs on the first and storage or use the second for backup and dual boot with a split host drive. There is a long list of options.

Actually, if you install your OS on one partition and everything else on another, assuming you use Windows, your OS will run smoother, faster, and more stable. You can also create a small partition for your swap file to speed it up even more. Some programs refuse to allow you to install them anywhere but C though and that can be a pain.

When problems in performance are seen you can also disable the creation on the paging file that uses drive space for virtual memory. With 1gb of memory that usually needs to be 2gb in size. Separate swap partitions are generally seen in Linux not Windows. You can assign paging files to different drives installed on the system however.

Actually, if you install your OS on one partition and everything else on another, assuming you use Windows, your OS will run smoother, faster, and more stable. You can also create a small partition for your swap file to speed it up even more. Some programs refuse to allow you to install them anywhere but C though and that can be a pain.

i second that, also it helps if your OS screws up, for exaple all my games are installed on a seperate drive from my windows drive and it all works great. that way if windows decides to commit suicide all i have to do is repair a few installations im im good to go.

The only time I ever have to reinstall Windows is to either add or omit another version or OS into it's boot information. I maintain a multiboot on multiple drives with each version seeing all programs, games on the same single primary. One other drive is used for storage and temporary backup. Windows runs far better and trouble free when not trying to custom install things all over the place. If a second drive fails? oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom