Partitioning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
I have enough unallocated space on my HD to partition and install a 2nd OS not sure whether to make the partition as a Primary on Logical?
And can I just partition it through my 1st OS?

Thanks for any advice

Okay it will be logical. Only the main partition can be Primary. Hence the name.

It depends on which OS you are using. Vista has the ability to create partitions. Other than that you will have to use PArtition Magic.

you can have only 4 primary partition on 1 disc. it has to be primary for an os. logical is use mainly for storage. this is the rule, although I can personally only make 3 primary's on 1 disc

This is interesting...lol this is why I'm asking this question because through all my searching it seems to be pretty split on which way to go
let me ask this,whats the advantages and disadvantages to primary or logical for running XP & Vista together

You can probable tell by my guestions I'm only running on 2 cilnders when come to computers but I'm learning. lmao

primary = os drive. Logical = storage. computer looks for primary drive first. so it doesn't make too much sense to put an OS on a logical drive.

I tried to install 10 copies of xp on a 200 gig hdd once (10 20 gig partitions). the major had told about the 4 primary limit, which explained why I couldn't do it

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions on Partitioning and Dual booting, got the HD Partitioned and the OS installed with no problems thanks to all the great advice from this forum.
Now to investigate my new OS and try not to break it...lol
I will most likely be back asking for further help in trying to fix it... lol

Thanks again for the help
TKF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom