Is dual boot best idea for now and later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafguy81

In Runtime
What about doing a dual boot machine (XP Pro SP2b and Vista Ultimate 64 bit). This way you can use your old programs now. Get a glimse of Vista Ultimate while letting it mature and get drivers and a SP or two then make the switch best of both worlds what do you think?

Already dual booting XP with Vista Home Premuim 32bit. I'll wait for more then Vista drivers when going 64bit since just about everything out is still 32bit at this time. For just the 32bit version of Vista expect to be replacing some desktop apps as well as finding some games won't install on it. For 64bit version of either Windows? Eventually 32bit will fade away but nowhere near as fast as seen with 16bit.

I am also dual booting win Xp home with Vista Ultimate (32 bit), but almost never use win xp, I think I am gonna clean xp partition in about a month.

When going for the Ultimate version they were sold out at the time leaving me actually saving money with the Home Premium edition when Vista first came out. XP is still needed here more for not having or seeing Vista labeled versions of desktop programs available. On any tuner cards and devices like those make you see Vista ready since the software package on many is still something like 2000/XP or 98-ME, 2K, XP only.

I'm the opposite

Unfortunately so am I. But I knew many that were the same when going from 98 to XP too. The wait for new softwares and better drivers still has to take place before it will be considered for being a primary OS here.

I dual boot myself. It is the best option. For some people they have to use XP for certain things. Like myself. I have been in XP more recently than Vista. Cause of the movie encodes and copying that i am doing i need what XP has to offer. There are more applications that work in XP than Vista for this.

I used Vista for the longest time. I go back to it when i need to. There is almost everything out there that is working on Vista. Just a few apps here and there. But you need a beefy machine to run Vista nicely with all things. Plus you have to have the preference for it. Some people are jsut not into Vista. Same thign for a VMWare version of Vista.

I dual boot myself. It is the best option. For some people they have to use XP for certain things. Like myself. I have been in XP more recently than Vista. Cause of the movie encodes and copying that i am doing i need what XP has to offer. There are more applications that work in XP than Vista for this.

I used Vista for the longest time. I go back to it when i need to. There is almost everything out there that is working on Vista. Just a few apps here and there. But you need a beefy machine to run Vista nicely with all things. Plus you have to have the preference for it. Some people are jsut not into Vista. Same thign for a VMWare version of Vista.

agree, i dual-boot as well, but i rarely login in Vista, cuz my system is too lame to run it well, but Makeveli, u say it runs well on ur system... may i know ur specs?

My specs are as follows:

CPU: P4 3.4GHz with HTT
RAM: 3 GB DDR2 533 MHz
3 SATA HDD's @ 7200 RPM with 8MB cache
nVidia 6800 PCIe
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Gigabyte Ethernet adapter

That is about all the relavant info i can provide. I have heard of Vista running on systems that have 1GB of RAM. Personally with my 3GB i can run just as much as i do in XP without any lag at all. I can game easily, photoshop, encode, basically everything that i need to. At this time it is jsut easier and faster for me to use XP that is why i am. If it wasnt for that fact i would be in Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom