cant get xp disc to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cx2007

Beta member
I want to format my pc and re-install windows, i have the original xp disc and i have set the dvd drive to boot but it comes up with the mesage "please insert correct media and select bootable device" or something very similar. i have tied the dvd on primary and slave settings but i still get that message. It's a dvd/rw but it play disc normally would this affect it at all?. any ideas would be much appreciated.

The original XP disc should be bootable so did you change the order of the boot device? I don't think it would matter if there isn't an OS on the hard drive but just in case put the CD/DVD drive before the hard drive. If that doesn't work, make the XP bootable floppy discs if you have access to a working computer.

One way to force the installation disk to boot is to set onliy one or all to cd rom in the bios boot order. Even when set as the first device you should still see the message to press any key within so many seconds. If you are not the system will stall without a working OS ready to load.

Recheck the jumper settings to see if you have it set as master at the end of the cable or slave on the middle connector too. The floppy method takes seven floppies with the first being an XP boot floppy and the following six setup floppies. But besides being easier to use look at the disk itself for any scratches or finger marks that could hamper the installer from starting. Try a lens cleaner on the drive if you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom