Slow execution of some programs after a format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LV38_Eagle

In Runtime
I am having an odd problem at the moment; I did a complete format and reinstall of XP Pro on Sunday morning, and now have trouble with a few items not starting very quickly.

Basically, my ‘shortcut to Dial-up’ in the ‘quicklaunch’ bar takes about 30 seconds to open the dial-up box, with no HD activity in the first 30 seconds. Also, Easy Tune 4, the Gigabyte monitoring utility does the same; a shortcut on the desktop takes 30 to 45 seconds to open after activating the shortcut.

Everything else opens very quickly, including Windows itself, and I really donÂ’t want to go through the heartache of reformatting, getting Windows to notice sATA hard drives, installation, and then all the hardware drivers/updates etc. again quite so soon.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Maybe there a conflict coming from your other hard drive? Otherwise my best guess is that it has something to do with the drivers for something in your rig..

I know w/ my Dell i made the mistake several years ago of not installing my chipset driver first. I dont' know how familiar you are with PCs but that is the first driver you should load after your OS.

If you didn't do so w/ your most recent install, I would start over.
I know it's a PIA to reformat but If it's worth doing - it's worth doing right - JMHO.

Yes, I did the chipset driver first, just removed/reinstalled the problematic software, to no avail. God I hate PCÂ’s sometimes!!

(Â…and Windows specifically)

Mmm, I would have liked to post a resolution, but donÂ’t really know what it is. After firing up the PC this morning, everything is working perfectly. Most odd.

Thanks for the ideas anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom