need help purchasing a gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowbeartoe

Beta member
I would appreciate assistance if anyone can help me (or direct me to a source that provides answers and/or information).

How do I know what to look for in buying a gaming PC? I'm unsure about issues such as: how good does the video card need to be?; what's the advantage of two hard drives?; what qualities should the motherboard possess?; what brands are good and what brands should be avoided?; how important is overclocking and where can I learn how to do it properly? etc...

I'd like to buy a PC with which I can play games, and I'd also like to have the system act as a PVR (i.e. watch/record/pause live television and burn dvd's). The system doesn't have to be the world's fastest, nor does it have to have the absolute lastest technology. However, I don't want to have to upgrade six months from now just to meet the minimum requirements of tomorrow's games. My budget for this system is around $1000.

Thanks in advance for your help.

$1000 bucks will hold you really tight if you want a gaming PC with a Video card that has all the features you want and a DVD-burner.

If you want all those features and it too last for over 6 months you need to consider spending more money. :/

Man 1000 bucks can go a long way.A really good graphics card for about 200 is a fx5700 ultra very good card and can run all of todays latest games on medium and some on high. Then id go with a resonable cost msi board xp barton board and a 2800 xp barton pross and a 512 stick of kingston 3200,Then id get a 400 watt power supply,dvd burner 100 buck nice x blade case 100 well all im saying is you look at the parts and you can get a good pc with 1000 is that with/without a moniter

First, thanks for the help you guys are giving me.

The $1000 budget does not have to include a monitor, I already have one.

Is it recommended for someone like myself to build my own system? My hardware experience is limited to installing RAM, hard drives, network cards, etc. -- only basic installations in which I simply followed instructions from an install guide.

I suppose I'd prefer to buy a whole system, because I would have a lot of questions concerning building my own system.

What's better AMD or Intel? What do I need to look for in a motherboard? For hard drives, what specs are really important? I see things like 7200rpm vs 10,000rpm, 133 vs 150, SATA, 8 MB -- what do I need to have for a solid hard drive, and do I need two drives?

Thanks again for your assistance.

AMD cpu good for gaming
high end graphic card
large amount of ram * at least 512MB *

Thanks didi...
which AMD processor will allow me to play games comfortably for the foreseeable future? would AMD XP 2800 be good enough, or should I go with an AMD 64?
are "all" AMDs basically better than all the pentiums?

If you buy an already built system, get custom built from a local computer store. DON'T get an HP, Compaq, Dell, e-machines, Gateway, or any other store-name brand.

You should never buy a storebrand PC(especially Compaq/HP), you should build your own. Building a PC is basically the same stuff that you have been doing, like installing RAM and stuff like that. Its pretty simple, but you should surf these forums some and look for some online PC building tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom