Solid State Member
Hello I need some help

I have just built a brand new system

Motherboard: gigbyte GA-7N400
Proccessor: amd athlon XP barton 3000+
1 gig of kingston ram
Windows XP pro
======================
Problem: The computer will recieve errors installing software after a few minutes of runing, even during the install of the OS.
hiting retry will resume the installation without any problems.

The computer gets BSD (blue screen of death)

Software randomly shuts off

computer will turn off after a while of runing
=============================
Here is what I did to trouble shoot the problem
reinstall the OS
checked the bios settings 10 times
checked and made sure that the heat sink is installed properly (on the processor)
updated bios
==========================
what I found
when switching the auto detection for the processor switch and letting it run at half the speed I have no problems what so ever.
the computer can keep on runing. but the system does not recoqnise the processor and it is runing it at 1.2 gig instead of 2.2.

So this leads me to believe that that my processor might be broken, or I might be missing some bios setting.
ram, corupt hardrive, or OS trouble is eliminated as a cause of the problems in my opinion but i could be wrong.

Does anyone have any better idea on this? I am very unshure of this.

help would be greatly apriciated.

Did u put on thermal paste on the cpu?
Can list down all your hardwares n PSU power?

well since u said it shuts off a while after running, check ur CPU fan. It may not be mounted right and your cpu is shutting its self off before it overheats its self and burns out.

yea and make the fsb to 166mhz instead of 100mhz, and that should up it to 2.1 (3000+ runs at 2.1 not 2.2)

I did not put thermal paste on the CPU, sense my understanding was that this was not necessary. the cpu came bundeled with the heat sink and a fan.
the Fan and the heat sink is mounted on the the cpu correctly I am shure of this.
I have checked it several times.
I am at work at the moment i will reply with more info on the hardware when i get home.

Well if the heat sync has a heat pad then he shouldnt put the paste on there, but if it doesnt then deffanitly put the paste on there.

hi gummball. In an earlier post you said the computer shuts off after a while of it running. What PSU is currently in your machine?

the processor does have the thermal pads on it.
it is 2 copper pads one on the processor and one on the heat sink.
The PSU is a 440W which should be enough power to suply my system.

I will try to buy the thermal paste, but the main thing that I am wondering is.

If this is a bad processor would it make sense that it works normaly at a lowe speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom