Router is pretty hot.....should it be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
I rarely check on my router and modem, but while I was cleaning, I noticed the router is very hot. Not hot enough, that it's unbearable, but it's pretty hot. Should I be worried? These things are on 24/7, and only get shut off once, every few months.

In my experience if a router get's hot it can effect the performance, I would let it cool off a little raise it off the desk a little put a book under one corner.

In my house I have a policy of giving the router and modem a minim 3 hours tuned off a week normally at a time when I am out of the house, it keep's them cool and working. The only time I have problems with it now is when my sister screws around with the seting's.

Yea, I should give it a rest too. I've noticed alot of lock ups and slow downs, when I surf the net.

Dude, just turn it off for a few hours a week, when you are at work asleep at school any time your not using it. What make and model are you using anyway? I use a belkin and it is very reliable.

heh.....same here. Mine is the wired version:
9953.jpg

lol, Add a wireless Ariel to that and my router look's the spitting image of that one. where are you keeping it any way on a desk or in a cupboard? I unfortiontly have to keep my router in my sisters bedroom and she abuses it on a regular basis, she has spilled drinks on it punched it and god knows what else... but it still works, just hope I can get the modem and router moved into my room and I will treat it right.

lol....I just put it on a little cardboard box near the floor, because my ethernet wires aren't long enough.

OK if it is still on the box make some decent size vent holes in the box.

I am hoping to move to my own flat sometime soon and the router is staring here but I am going to use a wireless network (sell the internet to my neighbours that way) and use the wired ports on the back of the router for my own network, I am probably going to use the new Belkin N+ rotuer that looks so sexy.

I was thinking of opening it, and adding little copper heatsinks on the chips. Then getting a longer wire, so it can be more in the open. In range of my table fan.

That would be a better idea than my one, if you do do that could you let me know how it turns out?

Oh and if you whan't to talk more over this PM me for my MSN we can chat about it that way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom