Is my RAM that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psp_crazy1

Daemon Poster
I've been surfing newegg today, just because no one is home, and nothing to do... Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

i normally oc to 350mhz ?(fsb)... but then something fails. i think it's my ram, i add .2 volts, and it maxes out at 348ish (5-5-5-15), but when i raise to .3 (or 2.2) it still fails... i think its the rams fault. is it just me or is this the rams stopping point, and should i consider to get gskill hz now, since i bought my ram for 105 (at xmas) and now 2gb pc6400 is the same price :(
this is what i do

tons of gaming
a lot of internet browsing
multimedia stuff, putting together movies, ect
multitasking (most of the time, i have
wmp 11 open, firefox, rivatuner, speedfan, aim, and game [oblivion,fear,tiger woods 07, bf2, or bf2142])

should i really save up and get the new ram, or just keep it

(btw should i keep my ram that i have in the mobo when i get the new 2gb, for a total of 3 :D, or just save it...)

XMS2 ram isn't very overclockable. And I've experienced the same thing.

but you think my ram is whats holding me back??? because i dont mind staying at 350mhz, i mean thats past x6800 performance, but i just wana see how far i can go. so, you think i should get gskill hz?

If it satisfies you, I don't see a reason to buy new ram. But HZs will most probably take you further. And also it is DDR2 675. DDR2-800 is better for overclocking.

yeah XMS2 isn't that great for overclocking.

My crucial ballistix is only rated at 667mhz and I have it running at 1138mhz :)

If you want to push your setup further then I suggest getting 2x1gb of better quality ram....just changing to 2gb and faster ram will be an ugprade in itself, even if you don't OC the CPU any more.

If you decide to get the HZs, just stick with 2gb of ram for now. That's all that is needed. Just save the XMS2 for a rainy day.

what do you guys mean xms isnt overclockable???
i can (note the "i can" part...i dont all the time) run mine at 480+mhz w/ 4-4-3-5 timings, stable. thats a pretty beefy overclock...certainly with those timings...
at 4-4-4-12 i can run it at like 550+.
at 5-5-5-15 dont even get me started...:p
but in any event, ima gonna git me some gskill soon and put the xms in the moms rig. gskill is VERY overclockable, but to say that xms isnt is kinda funny. woot woot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom