Video Card Over Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHeaven

In Runtime
To start, this is my first post here, so hello everyone.

Video Card: GeForce 6600GT 128meg AGP

I have had this card for about a year with no problems. But For the last month or so I started noticing artifacts when I was gaming, in which I imediatly started up Riva Tuner to log my cards temp and found that during play, my card was reaching 90 degree C. I am not overclocking it and this has never been a problem before. I checked that my fans where working properly and cleaned all the dust out of my pc, but it is still getting up there to about 80 degrees on low setting when playing. Granted I do not have anything but the fans that came standard in the pc when I bought it, but I'm wondering why now its happening. The other day my computer froze completely, for the first time ever. CPU: P4 2.8ghz, XP Home, 1.5 gig ram.

Do you think that my card is going or is it something else? ie should I upgrade/add another cooling fan.

you can try searching for a new cooling fan for the card.

or if you can , take off the fan , clean off the paste and reapply paste and fan

sounds like gpu chip isnt making a good connection with the heatsink for the card fan. paste probably dried out or something

Cooling is incredibly important for gaming. Try opening the side of the pc, putting a HUGE box fan in from of it, and run your temp logger. That might give you a better idea about if the card is totally gone or the fan on the card might be loose.

Get another heatsink and fan for you card. Or try to get better airflow over the videocard and the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom