RAID problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCAS

Baseband Member
My computer isn't exactly high end but i figured this was the right place for a question about RAID

I purchased two Seagate hard drives from new egg last week and I finally got them in yesterday but when I tried to install them in raid but it seems that my floppy drive was broke.

Well I tried several other floppies and I can only guess that its a problem with my mother board. The floppy drives don't even flicker though when I install them. I tested them in other computers so i know they work.

Is there any way I can install Windows XP on raid 0 with something other than a floppy?

Athlon 2600 xp
Albatron kx18ds pro
2x Seagate Barracudas 7200.10
1gb pc3200

you can do software raid quite easily without a floppy but you don't get all the benefits of hardware raid

what raid configuration are you looking for?
why are you going raid?
does you motherboard support hardware raid?

I want to go for RAID 0 for performance

I play a lot of RTS games so load up times can be killer (especially on my old 5200 rpm Maxtor drive i was using). I also enjoy learning new things.

And yep my mobo sure does support it.

I got everything ready for it except installing my operating system but I cant get the drivers off of the floppy.

Is the performance between soft and hardware raid very different?

Thanks for the reply.

software raid combines the disks and is very simple whilst hardware combines the disks and makes the speed increase but it takes a bit more time going through menu's

you should have an option in the bios have you got your motherboard manual there should be a section about adding new hdd's and then how to configure them which normally includes raid.

yea I've done all that but xp doesn't recognize disks in RAID from what I've read.
With out the drivers from the floppy that is.

Bleh, I found what was wrong with my floppy drive. when you talked about the bios I got to thinking. I realized that the floppy might have been turned off in the bios and it was.

Sorry to waste your time with such a nooby mistake salty. Thanks for all the help none the less.

no problem :D unlike normal tech support where you have to drag a fat technician out and book an appointment 3 days before I am just sitting in my garden sunbathing and chatting on msn lol

Bleh, I found what was wrong with my floppy drive. when you talked about the bios I got to thinking. I realized that the floppy might have been turned off in the bios and it was.

Sorry to waste your time with such a nooby mistake salty. Thanks for all the help none the less.

nice. enjoy your raid0, I definatly noticed a difference in loading times for games. :D

Yea RAID 0 is nice and I will have the money soon to RAID 0 my drives but I don't know if I want to wipe my current HDD heh but we will see.

Thanks for the good wishes and help.

I can always rely on this forum for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom