Need help with upgrading power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xonicx

Beta member
I recently purchased a graphics card for my computer and it requires 420 Watt power supply or higher. I currently have a 300 watt power supply. I also have 2gb's of ram coming in the mail tomorrow.

When I bought the graphics card I also bought a Antec EarthWatts 430W Power Supply. I hooked it all up and nothing worked, I returned it for another one and still nothing happened when I turned on the computer. No sounds, no nothing. I called the help line and they ran through things like hooking everything up right and I did everything right so they said HP and other company's that prebuild computers make it so you can't use other power supplies other than what they make. I returned it for my money. I'm wondering if that's true and/or where could I find one that works with my computer? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Computer Specs
HP Pavilion a 1319h

* Processor; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 517 (HT Technology enabled)
* Processor Speed; 2.93GHz
* Cache 1MB = L2 Cache
* Bus Speed; 533MHz Front-side Bus
* Memory; 1.0GB PC-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory
* Hard Drive; 160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
*300 watt power supply
*ATI Diamond Stealth X1550 graphics card PCI EXpressx16

Power Supply Specs (The problem one I had to return)
# 430W
# 80mm low noise cooling fan
# Dual 12V outputs: 12V2 for Motherboard and peripherals; 12V1 for processor
# Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits, power overloads, over voltage, and under voltage
# 80 PLUS® certified
# 4 SATA connectors
# PCI-E connector
# Safety approvals: UL, CUL, FCC, TÅ¡V, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC
# Universal input
# Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
# PF value up to 99%

yes most major manufacturers make it so that you can't upgrade the components without one of there marked up items so your going to have to buy from them they normally have parts for when you upgrade or you can cannabilise your old pc and create a new

how long will my power supply work till? The pci express x16 doesn't have a power source to it. I'm also having problems locating a power supply from HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom