Help w/ MB and processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you mean bottleneck? is that bad? will it not work properly when i get a new MB?

is this MB any good also? any personal experiences?

ASROCK SKT-775 4COREDUAL-VSTA S/L 1066FSB

A bottleneck is the lowest performing hardware on a system. Think when you are trying to pour out a bottle, the thing that limits the flow is going to be the bottleneck.

There is less than a 2% real world performance difference between 4x and 8x buses simply because todays video cards don't come close enough to using all the available bandwidth that the bus can offer. I have heard the analogy You can p*ss into a 4" pipe, or you can p*ss into a 8" pipe, the 4" pipe will not limit the flow any less than the 8" pipe will.

You said you got better performance on your TI4200. That tells me it's probably unrelated to your current hardware. I have the same monitor as yours, so you are likely running the same resolution as I am (1440x900), and I have worse specs than you (Athlon 2000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6800 on AGP 4x), yet HL2 runs just fine on my system.

If I had to guess, I would say your card is overheating and is underclocking to avoid burning up. My 6800 has this feature, so I'm guessing your 7800gs does too. So check your nVidia control panel and check the temps. It should tell you there if it's underclocking or not.

Good luck.

Is that an idle temp or under load temp? Try playing for a bit and then ALT+TAB and check again.

If it's not your temps, my next guess would be drivers or the game itself, but you said you took care of drivers.

Do you get poor FPS on other games?

Another thing I forgot to mention: I noticed a USB wireless adapter on your specs. Please tell me you aren't gaming on a USB wireless adapter! :)

yea it is a wireless USB, but that's not really a problem since it worked fine on my other vcard. And never had any issues. Yes I have the newest Vcard drivers and I will try playing and checkign the temp then. I have FPs problems with WoW also, my FPS drops down to 4's with setting all lowered. Ghost recon 2 was also bad.

So exactly how much fps are you getting in 1.6...Also, not only check your GPU temps, check everything else, open task manager and see if anything is taking up your CPU process / ram. Try a newer game than 1.6 to bench your GPU temps too, like CS:S if you have it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom