Power issue on a HP system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYL\X/3K

I know <html>, do you?
My cousin calls me in and says his computer shut off hard and it wont turn on (literally)
i came over and the computer doesn't do anything at all when you press the power button. SO im thinking,,,, Power supply might off crapped out, so i brought a new PSU in and still nothing. i looked at the motherboard and see the led lights lighting up normally and theres a power button led light on the motherboard; when you press the power button it lights up.

so right now im thinking it might be tehe motherboard that causing this?
Its odd because it shuts off and doesnt want to power up even when the motherboard led lights are on normally

any idea would be appreciated

o ya its a Desktop slimline case

either way, it sounds like the mobo isnt completing the circuit for some reason.

have you tried it with just the basics? mobo , cpu , memory and video?

tried it with the mobo out of the case to see if it might be shorting on the case?

reset cmos too with the battery

Reseat your components, espeically the CPU, and follow networkgeek advice, you want just the core components in the system. Also, give use more detail about the motherboard and the other hardware (CPU, RAM, PSU, Vid card).

either way, it sounds like the mobo isnt completing the circuit for some reason.

have you tried it with just the basics? mobo , cpu , memory and video?

tried it with the mobo out of the case to see if it might be shorting on the case?

reset cmos too with the battery

tried with basics, CMOS battery ok, ill try pulling out the mobo and then try booting (i was 2 lazy to do that when i was over lol )

Reseat your components, espeically the CPU, and follow networkgeek advice, you want just the core components in the system. Also, give use more detail about the motherboard and the other hardware (CPU, RAM, PSU, Vid card).

o sry forgot to post the specs :
CPU is a P4 Socket 775 2.0ghz
512RAM DDR HP
Some sort of Compaq ?watts PSU
Onbaord graphics card 64MB
Toshiba 40Gb HD

remember that its a Desktop Slimline computer , i might get him a new case/PSU and a motherboard to fix up his system because he told me that his power bar shut off and he reseted it while his computer was plugged to the outlet that caused his computer to shut off hard. He might of power spiked it and fried it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom