overclocking an opty 165

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
ive been OCing my opty 165 lately and I have hit a wall. i have only raised the fsb to 210 and i have a 1.89ghz clock, and when i raise the fsb to 215 windows crashes. I lowered my HT link to 4x already cause I knew that would be a problem sooner or later, but what gives? my multiplier is only at 9x, shouldn't i be able to go farther than this?

Yea, you ran into the same problem i did. You should be able to go much higher but your ram is holding you back, which i presume it is the corsair value ram like i had. The highest i was able to raise my fsb with value ram was about 240 and a multi of 9 which made the clock around 2.25ghz. I knew my ram was holding me back so i bought some lower cas G skill and now i am running close to 3.0ghz on the stock cooler. Hope this helps.

I have an Abit Kn8 ultra nforce4 chipset the ram is pc3200

If you where to buy new RAM, better overclocking RAM as it where. You would not want to buy the SAME rated speed as you have now.
Even then you would not want to stick it in with your old Sticks. You would need to take the old Sticks out..
You would want DDR 500 Or higher. The higher the stock speed of the RAM the more it will allow you to OC the Proc.

Have you been adjusting the Vcore and other Voltages as you go?
What heatsink?
What are Max Load temps?

I have an Abit Kn8 ultra nforce4 chipset the ram is pc3200

you should be able to lower the ram speed in bios. ie drop the speed to ddr333 or ddr266 to keep it at/below/maybe a few mhz above the rated speed of ddr400 (pc3200) as you raise the clock of your cpu. with that mobo and cpu you should have no problems reaching 2.7+ if you can get your ram set up right.

well i tried lowering my ram to ddr266 and bushing the fsb to 215 but for some reason the BIOS didn't keep that because when checked with cpu-z nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom