Rate my new build - and help choose my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGELLIS

In Runtime
I have decided to completely revamp my system - from having my old Dual Xeon setup I am switching to the newer technologies. I am replacing the X2 machine with a Core 2 Duo system as was originally intended. Here are the parts im suggesting:

Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz 4MiB L2 Cache
Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC5400 (Micron D9 - so 500MHz easy)

And I now have a choice -

XFX 680i LT Edition
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
Asus P5W-DH 975x
Asus Commando 965p

It is a difficult choice between these boards -the 680i does SLI if ever I want to SLI up the 8800GTS, the P35 will last longer and does very high FSBs, the P5W-DH has the best performance at stock although not very high FSB, and the Commando does high FSBs, is full of features, but is the most expensive although it is not the most "futureproof".

Any opinions/views are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Yeah - the P35s have been out for a fair while. I think its the one to go for - its just that if I want SLi, I can't :(

You don't need SLI, just sell your graphic card, and get the next new more powerful graphic card.

That's weird....How come I don't see it available in the US, but I see it available in UK sites.

how good are the DS4 when compared to a DS3, coz their is only about 20-30$ price difference, and if the DS$ performs and o/c really well than the DS3, the price difference is justified right? what would u prefer, a MSi plat or a DS4-b1gpal???

I'm pretty sure the DS4 isn't that much better - although it has MUCH better cooling arrangements and considering how hot the P35 is, I don't think I want it to be just completely passive. The MSI Platinum is that rediculoud board with the "Circu-pipe" things that look like lollercoasters - the amount of copper on that board is probably costing more than the actual board itself!

I have decided to completely revamp my system - from having my old Dual Xeon setup I am switching to the newer technologies. I am replacing the X2 machine with a Core 2 Duo system as was originally intended. Here are the parts im suggesting:

Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz 4MiB L2 Cache
Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC5400 (Micron D9 - so 500MHz easy)

And I now have a choice -

XFX 680i LT Edition
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
Asus P5W-DH 975x
Asus Commando 965p

It is a difficult choice between these boards -the 680i does SLI if ever I want to SLI up the 8800GTS, the P35 will last longer and does very high FSBs, the P5W-DH has the best performance at stock although not very high FSB, and the Commando does high FSBs, is full of features, but is the most expensive although it is not the most "futureproof".

Any opinions/views are welcome! Thanks in advance!

my only question, and im not being sarcastic, is why are you upgrading/building a new rig when the am2 you have is pretty friggin awesome at the moment?
also, amd's new cpus are scheduled for release in the fall...?
just curious.

The motherboard on the Athlon X2 is absolutley AWFUL - some days it will be 5 hours Orthos Stable at 3.1GHz or other days it won't even POST at 2.4GHz. The system was always intended as a temporary system to put me on through as I was selling all my other things. I got it stupidly cheap from a guy in Canada just for that reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom