Overclocking a q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Ok, before you ***** me out for saying i want to overclock a quad-core, know this is strictly hypothetical and the only reason I would ever buy a q6600 is if their prices drop substantially on july 22.

Anyways, my question is, would you overclock a q6600 the same method as oc'ing a e6600...i dont mean like raising the fsb...obviously, but would you want to raise it to the same fsb?

IE, would i start off with getting it to 3.0ghz and slowly increasing it from there? Or would the q6600 be too hot and would I only wanna OC it to maybe....2.8ghz, for example.

The cooling id be using is a tuniq tower 120.

Thanks.

someone on the forum currently has their's at 3.0ghz at least, not sure if he's gone up any lately. I cant say for sure, but I don't think they will OC as high on air cooling as an e6600 will.

Why would you NOT want to clock up a Quad Core - I know if I had one I would! And yes - they are overclocked in exactly the same way as a E6600. But they are pretty hot chips - with decent Air Cooling you may be able to hit ~3.0 at a push but for 24/7 usage you're looking more towards 2.7-2.8GHz just becuase of the heat output!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom