Difference between dual and quad core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asim8787

Solid State Member
I know the prices on the q6600 are dropping on July 22nd, but what is the main difference between that and the e6600? I posted a build on here a couple days ago and said I wanted to wait on a price drop. My question basically is if getting the q6600 over the dual core is worth it, and if you all by any chance know if the e6600 will drop in price as well?

Basically I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just go ahead and build the desktop now, or wait.

u should definately, depending on how bad u need it right now. but i'd wait. my rig is pretty old, and i want to get rid of this crap asap, but i'm waiting till the price drops so that i can find the best bang for the buck. that doesnt mean that would go quad core, i would wait and see the price drops and if the C2d drop too, then i'd go with a C2d, depending on how much money i can get summer. but to stik with ur questions, dual cores have 2 cores, and quad cores have 4 cores running at the same timings i guess. lol
i really dont know what the main differences are, but i think they perform like 2 C2d processors. but wait and see what other have to say, coz i'm not that sure

The Quad cores also run hotter that the Dual cores.
BTW Am i wrong or are the Quad cores really just two Dual cores?

4 -2 = 2

The difference is 2 cores :)

And yes the q6600 is basically 2 e6600 slapped together.

id say if the q6600 drops to the current e6600 price then itd DEFINATELY be worth waiting and then getting the q6600 simply because you wont have to upgrade your cpu as soon as if you had only a e6600....cus i think we all know sooner or later theyll have 20 core chips, etc....

The Quads are currently very hot chips as they literally are 2 E6600 just slapped onto one Package, so when overclocking they get pretty darned hot! If I were you - I would wait for the new 45nM chips to be released as they will be quad core dies - not just 2 duals slapped together therefore being cooler and probably more overclockable!

there isnt much diference exept u can do more with the quad they run the same speed as the quad is literally 2 e6600 slaped into one chip nothing amazign about it the 4 cores cant be dedicated to do one task like duel core can it can only set 2 cores to do one task which is kinda pointless if you think about it
but aparently crysis will utilise it by spliting up that one big thread into smaller ones so the 2 duel cores can work at teh same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom