Hard drive Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpetroz4

Baseband Member
Im building a new PC and have everthing put together, but as i go to install the OS on the computer it keeps repeatedly telling me the hard drive is corrupt. Ive used to different Hard drives and I get the same result, would anyone know why it is doing this?

Can you see the drive in the BIOS? Are you sure you are not confusing the error with an unreadable or damaged installation CD?

Assuming the drive has been partitioned and formatted, go back through the windows installer and get into the recovery console by pressing R when prompted to do so. Then proceed to type in "chkdsk C: /f /r" and let it run. It will take a few hours if you have a larger drive but it should be able to determine if there are any bad sectors. Assuming the drive is new, I would return it if you are sure it has issues writing to disk

When you go to install windows - format it, but do a low level format (I.E. Not a Quick format) and if there are any smaller problems they could be sorted. What make/model drive is it?

Hope this helps!

It's not a a low-level format.
The only difference between "quick format" and "format" in Windows setup is that the latter also scans the disk for errors.

Low-level format is done at the factory, and nearly impossible to do yourself on modern hard disks. It only has to be done once. It defines the disk layout at its lowest level. It used to be quite common 15-20 years ago to do it yourself, but you need many parameters and a good tool (software) to do it properly.

Wiping the hard disk is also commonly referred to as "low-level formatting". Wiping the hard disk will overwrite every sector on the hard disk with random data. Doing this only once is useless. You have to do it quite a lot of times to make the data unrecoverable (which is the only reason why one would wipe the data). It won't help to resolve any problems.

More info: Data remanence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom