Dual Booting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
Would it be possible to Dual boot on 1 HD with the 2nd OS being a Vista Upgrade disk?

Would it even be possible to load it on a 2nd partition?

Thanks

Yes it is possible with two routes you could take. You could install xp again on the partition and then run the upgrade disc on that OS. You can also run the upgrade disc on that partition and not put in the key on the initial install and then once in the vista install run the upgrade disc from vista and on this install put your key in.

Thanks an51r so I should be able to partition the drive
do I insert the vista disk while xp is running
or do I boot with it?
Not exactly sure how to go about this, haven't really tried dual booting before
and Vista shouldn't notice XP on the 1st. partition?
so I can do as to your 2nd option.
I have XP installed now but just wanting to try Vista with out messing with my xp install all I have is a upgrade disk.

With the Vista upgrade disc you will need to partition your drive. Then install XP on that new partition so you will have 2 copies of XP isntalled. Then boot into the 2nd copy of XP and then run the Vista upgrade disc.

The Vista upgrade discs do not allow for a clean install as XP did. You can only run the Vista Upgrade disc from a fully installed, activated and legit copy of XP. If you dont meet those requirements the Vista upgrade disc will not install.

Thanks Makaveli213 will it let me install xp twice on the same disk?
when i partition the drive do I boot with the xp disk? and if so it won't recognize my XP on the 1st partition?

Yes you can dual boot XP Twice. Just make sure you boot from the disc and choose not to make any changes to the first install. As long as the drive is partitioned you will have not problem dual booting.

Thanks again Makaveli213
I will try to partitioning the drive without screwing up 1st install then install xp on 2nd then upgrade and see how it go's

Things you got to do when your cheap and want to try a new OS...lol
Thanks again

You are going to need a program such as paragon partition magic to partition a HD with info on it already otherwise you will delete the info currently on the disc. You can actually install the vista upgrade without having xp on the disc, you just do not put in your key code on the first install then boot into vista and run the upgrade disc from within vista and this time enter your key code. If you have a readily available XP disc I would take that route but if not then you always have the option I outlined above. Good Luck.

Hi again an51r
I have been thinking sense my last post and I have and old drive somewhere here
I might try the install your mentioning on it I'm not real confident about not screwing up XP I have on there now
if I can't find that drive is paragon free if not is there a free partitioning tool you know of.
Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom