Trying to get a D-link wireless router to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inziladun

Baseband Member
Hey,

I'm having the worst trouble trying to get this stinkin' router to work (DI-524). I follow all the instructions and on the final step when they say "congratulations on your new network" i'm cursing like a sailor. After building a computer I thought I knew it all, but now my ego has been taken down a notch... I don't even know where to begin...

So I install the drivers on the computer that I want the adapter in, I place the adapter into it, and the "new hardware" thing doesn't pop up like it should. I think "no big deal" and move on the intructions, and when they tell me I should use the D-link AirPlus config utility, it won't open(I double click and nothing happens). The booklet says I have to do something special to get the damned thing to work on XP, and then procede with other instructions. They tell me to click on the network connection icon and then show a window that's "supposed" to come up that I have no idea how to get to.

On my computer(the one with the modem) I hook up my current cable modem to the Wireless router and then I go into the "http://192.168.0.1" control thing and follow the instructions then my internet ceases to work when it's connected to the Router.

This is such a mess and is driving me insane, and I know i'll be calling myself such a noob when I finnally figure it out, but i'm in desperate need of guidance!

On my computer(the one with the modem) I hook up my current cable modem to the Wireless router and then I go into the "http://192.168.0.1" control thing and follow the instructions then my internet ceases to work when it's connected to the Router.

Can you elaborate on what you are doing in this step? Specifically, which settings are you changing in the router?

Can you elaborate on what you are doing in this step? Specifically, which settings are you changing in the router?

Pretty much the setup wizard. I select my Internet connection type (WAN), then "Clone MAC address", and then set 802.11g wireless lan connection(Whatever that means). The booklet then tells me I should test my internet connection and doesn't give me any suggestions if it doesn't work (which it doesn't).

Unplug your cable modem and reset your router back to factory default, don't use clone MAC address, this is only if the ISP won't allow a new device to connect to the modem. Plug the power back in with the router attached to the modem. The WAN port MAC address should register with the ISP. You don't need to do much after that to the router. Plug a computer using the Ethernet wire, open up command prompt and do ipconfig /all (Don't use a wireless connection yet)

You should receive some IP information.

Do the following ping test.

ping 127.0.0.1
what's the result?

ping the IP address of the computer you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping the IP address of the default gateway you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping the IP asddress of the DNS server you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping google.com
what's the result?

After a wired computer pass all this test and can connect to the Internet, you can enable the wireless connection.

Do the following ping test.

ping 127.0.0.1
what's the result?

ping the IP address of the computer you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping the IP address of the default gateway you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping the IP asddress of the DNS server you got with ipconfig /all
what's the result?

ping google.com
what's the result?

After a wired computer pass all this test and can connect to the Internet, you can enable the wireless connection.

If I understood you correctly, you wanted me to test the PC with the modem right? Well I renewed my IP address and now the Modem connects to the internet when connected to the router.

The test results are:

ping 127.0.0.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

ping IP address: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),

ping Default Gateway: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

ping DNS servers: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),

ping Google.com: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

Yea, test the PC connected to the router. Should be cable modem>router>PC.

Looks like your connection is OK if you can ping google.com

Now you should just enable the wireless connection and be set for the wireless laptop to connect.

also when you are changing settings in the router, esp when you enable the security make sure you do it with a direct cable connection .

Now I feel silly (as I expected I would). I got it working finnally. Now I just need to secure it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom