Different RAM speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraider5

Baseband Member
I have a stick of 512, pc2700 right now. If I bought a another stick of 512, but this time pc3200, could i use both?

how does pc3200 help me more than pc2700 in terms of overclocking?

thanks.

xraider5 said:
I have a stick of 512, pc2700 right now. If I bought a another stick of 512, but this time pc3200, could i use both?

how does pc3200 help me more than pc2700 in terms of overclocking?

thanks.

You could use them both allthough the pc3200 stick would only run at pc2700 speed if they are in dual channel.

if they are in single....make them dual....

even with the 3200 running at 2700 you still double the bandwidth with a small loss of mhz on one stick

my motherboard manual doesnt say what slots support dual....

the mobo is listed in my sig, does it support dual?

In order for dual channel to take effect, both sticks have to be same speed, size and specs (latency). Having 2 of the same brand name ensures that. Note that dual channel only gives you a 10-15% increase in performance but putting in your 2 sticks will definitely improve your overall performance. The more RAM the better.

Although different speed can be use together, but is better 4 u to check the RAM speed supported by your mobo so that no conflict later.

Note that whenever 2 sticks of RAM with different speeds are used, the fastest will revert back to the slowest of the 2 sticks. e.g. 3200 would run at 2700 in your case. Even if your MOBO supports dual channel, it will not be enabled with 2 sticks of different speed or size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom