First build-Help with parts decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I'm new to this forum so I would first like to say hello to everyone. I have spent some time reading the posts here and feel the knowledge on these forums should help me with my decisions.

I am putting together my first build and have some questions. I want to put together a computer I can play mid-range games on but have a very tight budget; around $600-$700. I have actually made several changes to my parts list based on these forums, but still have some questions to help decide. Here is what I have so far.

Case: ATX form (cheapo)
PSU: Xclio 460w, active PFC
CPU: AMD 64x2 3800 (AM2 socket)
HDD: Seagate 250Gb, 7200rpm, 8mb cache, sATA
Vid Card: Evga nVidia GeForce 7600gt, 256mb, PCI-e
Optical: Samsung DVD+RW w/ lightscribe

I am stuck deciding on a motherboard. I have narrowed it down to 4, all of which are SLI. 2 made by Asus and 2 by Gigabyte. All are priced at around $90-$100. Each has a different chipset: nForce 500, nForce 570, and nForce4. Can someone rate these chipsets, or tell me the differences are? The Gigabyte mbs seem to be a better buy, but I was wondering if it is a brand to stay away from?

Also, how important is brand name on processor fans/heat sink? Will a $9 fan from Masscool last or do I need to look for a specific brand name? Thanks in advance

You really can't go wrong with Asus or Gigabyte. I have heard better (more) things about Asus, but haven't heard anything bad about Gigabyte.

Also, the age old argument of whether or not AMD is better than Intel is something that you have to do tons of research on. It might just boil down to personal preference and whether or not AMD is supported by the MOBO you buy.

All in all, the comp. you will be building isn't going to play the newest games on High, but that's not what you said you wanted.

Good Luck :D

Hey Hookster,
Welcome to T.F.!!!

If you wanna save money, the Biostar TForce 550 is a great budget board. It's only I think...$79.99 on newegg.

Thanks for the replies. Hey b1gapl, I saw your quote for that mb for a budget build on a thread below and I checked it out. I searched Newegg for other boards around that price range and found a Gigabite board with nForce 570 chipset and has a second x16 slot for only $20 more.Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Do I need to get a really good cpu fan or will a $10 one do?

Yeah motoxer4533, I don't really want to play high-end games, but I am hoping to play UO with their new graphics client. My current puter has integrated graphics and no room for adding a new card.

My hope is to be able to upgrade in a year or two as needs arise.

Thanks for the input!

That is a pretty good board too.

If you're not overclocking, the stock CPU cooler is fine. If you are, I would suggest the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It's only $24.99 at svc.com, I believe. It's the best bang for your buck cooler, out there.

I don't think I'm gonna mess with overclocking anything right now. This is my first build and don't want it to be too complicated. I just thought of another question. How many case fans are necessary? My case comes with one 80mm fan already installed and room for an additional fan in the front and one in the back. Do I need two more fans, and if so are 80mm sufficient or should I go with the 120mm?

The optimum for air cooling in a case, is a front intake and a rear exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom