Upgrading PC! need advice from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says so on the Asus website
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

*edit*
Just noticed also, that the motherboard can run DDR1 RAM, too (which is a bit unusual).

That gives you an option you can afford now:
Asus P5VDC-MX: $62
X1950 Pro - $235
and use your current RAM and CPU

cost: $297

Later on, you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, and/or 1GB DDR2 (1GB DDR2-800 costs $55)

This is, however, provided that your CPU is a s775.

Thanks a lot really appreciate your help. I'm a bit of noob when it comes to computers so i appreciate all the help. ill prob head out to the shops after my exams in a couple weeks. Ill be updating my progress and ny questions i have.

Again appreciate all the discussion in this thread!

Ivan

I don't know whether this sounds like a stupid question.... but how do i know if my my cpu socket is 478 or 775?

you can use CPu-Z if u already have the cpu, but when ur buying it has to say it... otherwise they can't sell it.... but it can be other sockets too, but that just Intel's ones, but i think ur set

It says so on the Asus website
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

*edit*
Just noticed also, that the motherboard can run DDR1 RAM, too (which is a bit unusual).

That gives you an option you can afford now:
X1950 Pro - $235
and use your current RAM and CPU

cost: $297

Later on, you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, and/or 1GB DDR2 (1GB DDR2-800 costs $55)

This is, however, provided that your CPU is a s775.

which is why i questioned it being Core 2 Duo, because i thought Core 2 Duo needs the extra bandwidth from DDR2

which is why i questioned it being Core 2 Duo, because i thought Core 2 Duo needs the extra bandwidth from DDR2
Well, it's the northbridge that ultimately determines what RAM they use. They're not like AMD's chips, with the memory controller on the CPU itself.
I don't know whether this sounds like a stupid question.... but how do i know if my my cpu socket is 478 or 775?
CPU-Z will tell you what socket it uses

K then... ill be saving up probably go out next month....
so what exactly should i be getting?:
X1950 Pro - $235

and what cpu?

for CPU, i recommend a Pentium e2XXX (aka Core 2 Duo e2000 series) its still a Core 2 Duo (Conroe) and u still get a cheap price :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom