XP will not boot...Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
Problem: The comp froze last night during a pro-tools music editing session. We just turned it off from the power strip. Tried to turn it on tonight, and it will go through the post, then right when the windows logo is supposed to appear it just hangs there.

I put in the xp disc and went to the recovery console. When I typed chkdsk, it said.. "Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable.." Does this mean the boot sector is fried? We have a ton of recorded music on there and do not want to have to format, reinstall pro-tools and all the plug-ins we have etc.. Is there any way to fix the boot sector or other tool I can use to try and recover this windows install? Thank you for your assistance and input.

I would be more worried about the hard drives condition as a whole not just the boot sector. From that kind of error message it sounds like bad sectors could be involved. Priority number one is to get that hard drive out of there and backup the important data right away! We will then work on the problem at hand :)

I would be more worried about the hard drives condition as a whole not just the boot sector. From that kind of error message it sounds like bad sectors could be involved. Priority number one is to get that hard drive out of there and backup the important data right away! We will then work on the problem at hand :)

spinrite will take of that. then he should tranfer it to another hdd. I've revive at least 10 dead or unmountable boot volume hdd this way

To those that have spinrite, can I make the diskette for booting inside windows? Or do I have to do it some other way?

it should have the option to make an iso file. make that, then burn it as a disc image in nero. then boot from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom