Built a new comp.... now how do i get on the internet?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
well, i am about to start actually assembling my own medium-high end gaming computer that i ordered and i realized.... once its together and i load windows... how i am going to get on the internet? do i need to actually buy a modem? what if i have DSL that has an external router already and an always-on connection? i really dont know that much about the matter, so if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it.... thanx - RK

If, like you say, you have a DSL router with a connection, it'll just be a simple case of connecting it to the computer with a network cable (assuming ethernet drivers etc are installed)

:)

thats sort of what i thought.... but it cant be that easy can it??? my brother said something about a 1394 connection, but i have no idea what that even does, so.... and what drivers would i need to install? would it be specific to the router i have or w/e? and where would i potentially find such things? hmmm - RK

The drivers would just be your motherboard drivers you'd need to install to get USB, peripherals, sound etc to work, and the ethernet drivers will be part of that. Check your motherboard's manual for details if you're not sure.

Oh, and 1394 is firewire :)

As long as you already have an account with your ISP you should be able to literally plug and play the internet. Oh, make sure you have your TCP/IP settings set to DHCP and make sure DHCP client service is started.

If it is DSL just install the drivers and it may ask you for the username and password first time you log on.

the cd that comes with the mobo will have the network drivers, just plug in the ethernet cable and go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom