Problems installing IIS component

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerNovice

Baseband Member
I'm having problems installing IIS on both my workstation and laptop. Unfortunately, my laptop's CD-drive is not reading any CD's (I've tried everything to get it going without success), therefore I can't install any new components. So is there any other creative way that I can get IIS installed on my laptop? Can I do it through some kind of portable CD drive?

Both my laptop and workstation were installed with two different copies of XP. For my laptop (with the malfunctioned CD drive), I bought the XP CD and installed it myself about 2 years ago, so this is the CD I'm trying to use to add the IIS component.

My workstation which uses a different copy of XP installed by the person who built the computer. (He never gave me the XP CD he used for it.) But this is not a necessity if I can get IIS going on my laptop.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

There's a registry key that controls the source media, can't think of its default path, but when it comes up, you can temporarily change it to a path you have access to. Just change "Copy from CD" to "Copy from Network Path"

Specify Source Path to XP Installation Files

Explains my train of thought.

Good luck.

You can use the CD for both installs as long as they're both XP Pro version of Windows. Home does not have IIS capabilities I believe.

Also, as far as getting it on your laptop, a portable CD drive will work, or if you network your desktop and laptop then you can share the desktop's CD drive and use that. When it prompts for the files, browse to where the CD is and go to the i386 directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom