old parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
I just took apart the family Dell its a bit old from 2003 to be exact (I was surprised by the number of ide cables there were 3 and then one which was similar but connected to the front audio :s) But I was wondering whether any of these parts were worth saving or adding to my current pc:

Sound card: Creative labs sound blaster live 5.1 (would this be better then my onboard?)

hdd: Hitachi deskstar 120gb, ATA100, 8.5ms response (exact same model currently selling on ebay for £5 lol)

gfx: AGPx4 card Nvidia Nforce4 Mx420 (wish it was a f***ing pci one then I could use it for a 4-5 monitor and tv)

Ram: RDRAM 512mb by Elpida

Cpu: pentium 4 2.8ghz 478pin (passively cooled it has a HUGE heatsink)

and then a dvd drive and cd rom drive and a floppy drive

psu: 250W (big numbers I know comparable to the enermax galaxy)

The card will probably sound better than your onboard. I have the same card and it sounds better than my Asus P5W DH Deluxe, which is supposed to be a home-entertainment motherboard.

You can throw away the graphics card and the PSU. I don't know if RDRAM is still worth something; you should look it up.

You may be able to sell the CPU.

The hard disk is fine. It will perform close to a newer drive.

CD/DVD and floppy can be used if you need them. Other than that, they are worth nothing.

I am going to save everything if nothing else I will use it for practice pieces whilst modding.

The ram I will sell

my next build I was planning to use an AMD k10 processor and make it into htpc but now I am very tempted to reuse the pentium 4 with the HUGE heatsink lol I just measured it the thing is approx 6x6x10 (wxdxh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom