need monster build

Status
Not open for further replies.
he needs 5x500gb!!!! put it in raid5 for raid1 disk security and raid 0 performance in one easy array :D. the main disadvantage is that its all the disks capacity added minus the largest disk capacity in the array so it will work out to 2TB

Mum's just freak out at me spending ££ on pc so i took advide on board and have read around here and ome up with this ..

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
MSI P6N SLI-FI nvidia 650i Socket 775 ATX
Crucial 2x1GB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 Non-ECC Unbuffered
Inno3D Nvidia® Geforce 8800 320MB PCI-E Graphics Card
Western Digital 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Western Digital 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
LiteOn DVD+-R/RW 20x RAM 12x IDE Black
LiteOn DVD+-R/RW 20x RAM 12x IDE Black
570W
Thermaltake Armor VA8000
bout - £1100
-
thought i could clock cpu to 3GHz min which cooler would you recommend?
also could add 2nd gpu when mum calmed down abit :p (downside living with parents - upside loads money no rent!)

na he would only 3gb and as he is going to be using a 32bit OS it won't matter either way just whichever works out cheaper

bad plan. get 4GB of ram because the price isn't much different, and it is best to keep the sticks the same, such as 4x1GB or 2x2GB rather than 3x1GB or 1x1GB and 2x512MB etc. You want the sticks running in dual channel mode, so they need to be in matched pairs.

I expect he will eventually upgrade to a 64bit OS anyway, and 4GB of ram with Vista64 makes for a FAST OS.

EDIT: sorry, got a little ahead of myself when I clicked "post reply" :p

your build looks nice, make sure you get a decent PSU though, no generic 570W thing. probably the OCZ GameXstream 600W or Corsair 650W would suit your needs nicely. For OCing, get a decent aircooler such as Tuniq Tower or Thermalrite Ultra 120 Xtreme. You should get a good 3.5GHz out of an E66. Maybe look at getting the 680i motherboard, and I'd personally get the GSkill HZ ram, as it clocks alot better.

how much more is the 680I and what beinfit do i get..?

680i motherboards usually are in the $200+ range. The only benefit you get is more features, that most people won't use, like dual gigabit LAN. And according to this article:
Nvidia nForce 650i SLI vs. nForce 680i SLI - TechSpot
The 650i beats the 680i on average, in SLI performance. So I'd stick with the 650i, if I were you. They're cheaper than the 680i, and perform just as well or better.

just anouther quick q what power do you think this system would need (bare in mind i would like to go sli in future) is 570 enough ? too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom