Windows\System32\Config\System file corrupt or either missing. WTF?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedScissor

In Runtime
I turned my computer off 3 days ago because I was leaving to go on a short trip. Well... I get back home today and fire the computer up. All is good, but suddenly, I get an error message.

I get a message saying:
This file may be missing or corrupt: C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

This seems extremely odd. My computer was working in absolutely top form when I shut it off before my trip. I had no viruses, spyware, etc. Have had absolutely no problems with it. All I did was click start, turn off computer and shut down. Nothing big at all. Now I get this... I have absolutely no idea why this could have happened.

Further down in the message, it states:
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Well... I do, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do from this point onward. I don't know the code precisely enough, nor do I know just how I go about "repairing" or finding this file.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I would just run a repair on the OS. That should patch things up. Not the method stated above though..this time go past that first screen as if you were going to proceed with a new install, accept the EULA then it should detect the previous version of winodws. At that point hit the "R" for repair and it will begint the repair process. This will leave all data and programs in tact, but you will have to reinstall all windows updates and service packs and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom