One of the many build input threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
Hey all - I haven't been here in a while, but I'm FINALLY building myself a new box (hopefully next week). Here are my tentative plans, and some of the parts I already own. I'll list those first:

-ATi Radeon x800XT
-SB Audigy 4
-M-Audio Delta 66 Omni Studio
-2x WD Raptor 74gb
-Hiper 580W PSU
-Vista Business (Free - thanks, PowerTogether!)

Now, for what I'm going to be purchasing. Please don't make recommendations on what I already have - I, um, can't really change that now can I?

-Intel C2D E6600
-Intel G965 Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-2gb Mushkin DDR2 RAM
Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
-CoolerMaster Mystique case (Wanted the Wavemaster, but it appears that nobody carries it anymore)
-Storage drive (Image hard drive, to supplement the two 120gb's I've filled up already) Samsung Spinpoint 500gb
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The 2x Raptors will be in Raid0 as the boot drive. I've been out of the computing loop for a little while now, so if you guys spot anything that I should really change, it'd be great. Right now my order total is $660, and I'd like to keep the total under $700. If all goes well I will be ordering parts from Newegg early next week. Thanks guys!

Get a ds3 motherboard or P5B Deluxe and change the ram to g.skill hz.

the P5B mobo is another $80 - I don't really have that in my budget - the ds3 motherboard looks really nice and is only $20 more, but I haven't had any experience outside of the Intel branded motherboards. Is it a reliable board?

In terms of RAM, this is the model you mentioned, correct?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Great, thanks for the input. I'll probably switch the motherboard to the DS3, but I might have to go with the cheaper G.Skill RAM if it comes down to cost.

whoa....am I seeing things here? The HZs are $150? and the NQs are $144? Yesterday, I saw them at $104 and $89, respectively.

whoa....am I seeing things here? The HZs are $150? and the NQs are $144? Yesterday, I saw them at $104 and $89, respectively.

omg... ur right waaaaaaaaaaaaa........ :( the cheap, good ram's price has gone up

I know, I was planning on getting them. The HKs though, are $104. They're as good as the HZs.

Lucky.....to those who got the HZs before this price hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom