Gift Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HybridX

Beta member
My parents have decided to buy me a laptop for graduation. However, last time they bought a computer without consulting me we ended up with one that is in my brothers room and plays World of Warcraft. That is all it does, because it can't run anything more than that.

I will definitely be using this laptop for papers and the like (going into college as a pre-med major) but that does not really call for much in the way of processing. What I am looking for is a laptop that can run some of the latest games (LOTR Online possibly, Battlefield 2, etc.) but will also be under $1000

Between Newegg and my local Best Buy I have found a few that I really like. The hard drive space is enough, the processor has enough power, each have at least a gig of RAM. My problem is that the graphics card always comes up with the same few numbers:

nVidia GeForce GO 6150, 6150, 7600 (May be $2000, I forget)
ATI Radeon Xpress 200m, 1150m

Can anyone give me the specs on these cards? Any suggestions would be welcomed as well.

Thank you!

As per your comments about going into pre-med I would suggest getting a computer that CANNOT play games. I am a major in Neuroscience at BGSU and it is an intense major, pre-med is bound to be hard as well. I plan on attending medical school before to long and games just take your time away from studying.

So again, I would get a cheapo word processor if I were you.

That is my daily dose of advice, have a nice one.

As per your comments about going into pre-med I would suggest getting a computer that CANNOT play games. I am a major in Neuroscience at BGSU and it is an intense major, pre-med is bound to be hard as well. I plan on attending medical school before to long and games just take your time away from studying.

So again, I would get a cheapo word processor if I were you.

That is my daily dose of advice, have a nice one.

tre... very true... don't wanna get readdicted to WoW during college, lol!!!

Eh, I generally am pretty good about playing games. I would just like it to play games that all the desktops in my house can't.

That and I can't get re-addicted to WoW again, I've tried. It doesn't work anymore.

Also, my girlfriend is friends with one of the people doing pre-med at the college I'm going to, and he finds plenty of time to goof off.

Thanks for the advice!

haha... i'd like to know where this college is. goofing off and pre-med don't go together. at least not in my experience.

that said, i'd stick with getting a new laptop. its pointless buying old technology.

It could just be how she describes him, but I've gotten well past letting video games distract me. Now its random other things like reading or watching tv.

Either way I will definitely be getting a new computer, as long as it isn't too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom