Raid help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
Iam coming up on having enough money saved to build a terabyte in a raid 4. Iam just a tad confused considering I already have two hard drives. My plan was to use my system drive(250gb) for linux, ubuntu more specifically and then my 320 as the new system drive along with the 3 400gb hard drives.

I want the 3 hard drives in raid 4, but a tech buddy told me that, if Iam building a raid, I would have to reinstall my os, and with it every single program etc etc. Iam not trying to get around that, but, If my raid 4 soul purpose is for storage, can I build it, then reboot my pc for windows to recognize it with my existing system?

I know I can put my raid seperate from my actual sata drives, but, I have alot of videos, pictures music on each of the drives, so it's confusing on how i should back up my existing stuff and put it all back.

to raid you need to format all the disks wiping all data you can't add to an existing raid array I think its something like raid10 which allows you two add and take disks at will. The best raid array for you is probably going to be raid 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom