CPU Issue. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
This is an urgent message considering the problem was a result of me applying thermal paste to the cpu not to long ago.

Exactly what I did:

I recently applied some thermal paste to the top of the cpu heatsink, re applied the heatsink/fan and then booted normally. I have a cpu 'thermometer' linked to the front of my pc case. Today I unplugged everything to properly attach it to the cpu's heatsink. Well, after doing this, i noticed a 'seep' of thermal paste sliding around the base of the cpu's chip (the green area) and it was simply messy. So, I tried my best to clean it but, to no avail. Once I figured I had cleaned as much of the 'mess' from my cpu as I could, I seeded it properly into the motherboard, plugged in the monitor and ac power and then booted.

There was no display, but my computer went through the original 'boot up' sounds. then I heard five beeps. or something similar to beepbeep beep beep beep.

I was a bit confused, and I have come to believe that It was a booting error, afterwards I simply unplugged the cpu and replugged it in. The same error. This is the next portion that truly scared me, I was noticing that my cpu unit was seeded and in the locked position when i put the main heatsink back on top. I think there was so much thermal paste however that it was somehow pulled lose from the seeded position(lever locked down on my motherboard). From there I panicked, I completely cleaned the cpus heatsink and the heatsink itself. Then there after I applied a small dot of thermal paste. Then plugged everything back in. The same issue.

Since I've written this message, I've re bent some prongs into an upright position, and, unless my vision is getting the best of me, seeing spots of thermal paste on the prongs. My computer is a year old, have i possibly damaged the motherboard by the thermal paste and heatsink pulling it from the locked position? Can I clean out the prongs or remove the thermal paste from them safely , quickly? If so, how? Is there anything else that you need to know? Considering that Iam on my parents computer, I will be with this issue until it is resolved. Please, help! Suggestions!

XD Fixed in reccord time, If anyone is having the same issue as I , here's what to do :

First, I inspected the cpu contacts(those gold pins at the bottom) and made sure each was especially clean. I had to run warm water over a clean tooth brush and brush the contacts gently of any excess compound. Not to mention the compound on the contacts, there is also compound that would've transfered to the motherboard, so, try using a cotton swab to retrieve any excess compound from the intercepting contacts then if you suspect any dried pieces to be in the place of the contact sockets, use a shop vac or vaccum to clean them out.

I plugged my cpu back in, and after reseeding it , my computer booted fine. This worked for me considering I only started to get the 'bad processor' beeps after i put the compound on my hands. Hope no one else has my issue!

I had to run warm water over a clean tooth brush and brush the contacts gently of any excess compound. QUOTE]

You used what! Your lucky your pc even works. Next time use rubbing alcohol its quick evaporating qualities are much safer. And it dissolves stuff better than water. :)

yes that is what you want to use. use 70% or higher

it evaporates off easily if you leave some on by mistake. works wonders for cleaning off components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom