Upgrading PC! need advice from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihuy01

Solid State Member
Hey,

I'm upgrading my pc so that it becomes compatible with some of the latest games. Basically counterstrike lags if i play more than 10 players and sims 2 lags when i play it as well.

My PC specifications are:
Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz
512 MB Ram
80GB and 160GB Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256 MB video card
if you need any more info tell me.

I'm not sure what i should be upgrading whether its ram or the video card. I have about $300 Australian all up to spend. Anyone got an idea of what part of my computer should be upgrading, and if so what particular brand/type should i be looking at for my price range.

Need advice
Thanks

Ivan!

im not sure why you think you have 512mb ram but it says 256 mb ram. But uhhh because you have only got $300 i would either save up for new build with an e6600 and asus p5 mobo and some gskill ram. But cos you aint got that much i can only say upgrade your ram to 1gb and maybe a new vid card. You could try out a new proccessor maybe 3.4ghz p4

Hey,

I'm upgrading my pc so that it becomes compatible with some of the latest games. Basically counterstrike lags if i play more than 10 players and sims 2 lags when i play it as well.

My PC specifications are:
Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz
512 MB Ram
80GB and 160GB Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256 MB video card
if you need any more info tell me.

I'm not sure what i should be upgrading whether its ram or the video card. I have about $300 Australian all up to spend. Anyone got an idea of what part of my computer should be upgrading, and if so what particular brand/type should i be looking at for my price range.

Need advice
Thanks

Ivan!
You would most likely have AGP, instead of PCI-E. So that severely limits your graphics card choices.

I would at least look into getting more RAM. You can get a 512MB stick for A$40 at MSY (I go there often)

After that, I would highly suggest looking at saving some more and upgrading your motherboard and video card.
Right now, the 256MB X1950 pro costs A$235. But it's PCI-E.

Which kinda brings me to another point: Is your CPU a socket 478, or 775?
It will be much easier to upgrade to a new motherboard and video card if your CPU is a socket 775.

you can get a s775 motherboard from A$62 (P5VDC-MX, which has 2 x PCI slots, 1 x PCI-E 16X, and 1 x PCI-E 1X)

*edit*
I just realised, if you go for a new motherboard, you are most likely going to require DDR2 RAM aswell. 1GB DDR2-800 costs $55.

Yeah, this costs more than you might have hoped. My advice is to save your money until you get maybe $500, then see what you can do

(Note to people from America: AU$500 does significantly less than US$500. PC parts are more expensive here.)

with 246$ bucks, upgrading is not easy.... i say save more cash, but if u have a socket 775 p4 (specify there plz) u can upgrade at the most to 1 gb RAM and a Pentium D, but ur video card still stinks.... so my advice is hold-off and save some extra AU

EDIT My post was irrevelevent because i used US Prices...... ignore this one plz, thanks :)

Here's what you can do:
save up AU$352

then get something like:
P5VDC-MX - $62
X1950 pro - $235
1GB DDR2-800 - $55
(these are the prices at MSY)

and later on, you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo

that mobo is core 2 duo compatible? because remember, that just because its socket 775 doesn't mean its core 2 duo combatible like the intel 945

that mobo is core 2 duo compatible? because remember, that just because its socket 775 doesn't mean its core 2 duo combatible like the intel 945
It says so on the Asus website
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

*edit*
Just noticed also, that the motherboard can run DDR1 RAM, too (which is a bit unusual).

That gives you an option you can afford now:
Asus P5VDC-MX: $62
X1950 Pro - $235
and use your current RAM and CPU

cost: $297

Later on, you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, and/or 1GB DDR2 (1GB DDR2-800 costs $55)

This is, however, provided that your CPU is a s775.

it isn't:

LGA775 socket for IntelPentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron CPU
Compatible with Intel 05B/05A and 04B/04A processors

(Caution! For chipset limitation, There may be some error when work with less than P4520 or Celeron D325)

cuz it uses agp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom