PSU for quad core

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a power supply, for as cheap as Possible?

Common, thats asking for trouble.

BUT, the one linked will be fine.
I still strongly advocate that you don't continue the "as cheap as Possible" mentality when it comes to power supplies.

The Quad-Core uses double the amount of watts as the Dual. Stock the Quad-Core only uses 130w which would easily power that and an 8800GTX.

However if you consider overclocking to around 3.6ghz then it will draw around 280w instead. Thats roughly 24 amps on the 12. The 8800GTX stock uses around another 13 amps on the 12's. Then for each hard drive about an amp.

After you overclock your GTX (if you do) you are looking at a PSU with a little more than 40amps on the 12's to be sure. Overclocking CPU's really kills the watts. If it was around 3.2ghz it would only use about 240watts drawing 4 les amps. I would say a PSU with around 40 amps on the 12's. The RP550 only has 35 amps on it. It's enough to run a Dual-Core with a GTX but a Quad-Core is a different story unless you lower your overclocks.

Your going to want something more on the lines of a Corsair 520HX or this.

Newegg.com - XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100-240V / 200-240V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Retail

I know that Siddanth has the idea of overclocking everything crazy and if he does that hes going to need a lot of amps on the 12's becuase of how much the Quad-Core uses.

I know that Siddanth has the idea of overclocking everything crazy and if he does that hes going to need a lot of amps on the 12's becuase of how much the Quad-Core uses.

Not to mention that we (As in I! :p) is/are only letting him buy that quad core if he puts SMP Folding on it. :p

Hah....the Quad-Core does fold like crazy. I kind of really want a Quad-Core after the prices go down becuase I could sell my E6300 and then get one for not much more than what it cost me to buy my E6300 initially. However I am not too sure either..

Either way My Ultra X-Finity 600w that is coming will handle a Quad-Core and the X1950XT if I want :p.

u got it right sora, once i build my pc,i am gonna learn to overclock i would overclock the **** out of it.
thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom