How to install Xp without the use of floppy or cd-rom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

600MHZ

Solid State Member
So I bought an old laptop on ebay (ibm thinkpad x24) and it has no floppy or cd-rom. How can I install a fresh copy of xp on it? I guess I would have to boot from the network, a flash card or a usb key but I have no clue on how to do this. Any help?

Alright, I figured out how to boot from a USB key. You guys should really stop being so negative, just because you don't know how to do something doesn't make it incredibly hard or impossible.

There are a few ways this can be done. If you laptop can boot from the USB ports you can copy the Windows CD over to a 1GB or 2GB Flash drive and try to install. But you have to make sure you get all the files from the CD.

Again this would require the USB to do so. Copy all the files over and if done correctly you should be able to isntall right from the files stored on your hard drive. This isnt guaranteed to work since you already have a OS installed.

Best bet is to get a External CD drive.

600MHZ - how did you manage to get in done in the end?

Oh and the laptop sounds like it was a bisnes model in my last job I had to request a spare one, when it was delivered it was a tiny external CD/DVD reader that plugged into a PCI slot.

Makaveli213: Yes that what you need to do but first you need to throw a boot sector on your flash drive or it won't boot.

Chris Chadwick: Yeah I managed to get it done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom