Computer will not start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBailey6

Beta member
My computer is not starting up. I have the green light coming on saying that I'm getting power to the power button *at least that light is*, but nothing else wants to power on. I hear no fans or beeps, it just sits there. The monitor comes on also, but says that it is in Safe Mode.

I installed a new power supply 3 wks ago(ish) and it was working fine then...now I have nothing and not a clue where to start looking.

Any suggestions? I really need to get on this computer for some work files I need.

Thanks
Samantha

Try unplugging the 12v cpu feed and gently replugging that in until the retaining clip just clicks. When swapping for a larger supply on one occasion the system here failed to make a peep. Then the sutle urge to unplug and replug that one item saw the system come to life! It's an odd one but..? all you can do is give it a try there.

Sounds like either a power supply or a motherboard. If you're somewhat familair with a multi-meter you can test it that way. If you have installed a new power supply it could very well be bad out of the box. We've had 37 units bad and it killed every motherboard that we installed them on. The hindsight it always test your componets before using them, naturally we don't expect to get bad hardware right out of the box.

The replugging idea could work if the contacts inside the 12v cpu plug were loose. Otherwise the new supply most likely quit. You will find this more with low quality cheap supplies. That's why the recommendation seen most often when ordering a new case is never get one with a supply included. They throw the cheap stuff in.

One other thing that might possibly be going on, but that is only if you have been in the case at any other time after installing the power supply and naturally before you got this problem...

A few things you can try there are either borrowing a supply for temp use or bringing it into a repair shop for testing. Some retail outlets like Circuit City or CompUSA will have their tech onhand that will test it without charge there. Another thought would be a wire or connector that was not fully plugged down or in.

How old is the system? Sometimes the battery on the board itself will suddenly go. Those are common lithium types found in watch and jewelry dept.s in retail stores for a few bucks there. The more common one is the CR2032 number. Those are used in watches and hand held pocket calculators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom