Can't use onboard LAN of P5B-VM motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo_lu

Solid State Member
My P5B-VM motherboard had onboard gigabit LAN port (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B-VM/e2833_p5b-vm.pdf 1.10.1 Rear Panel Connectors). I connected it to my ISP DSL modem and ran installation program which was just a simple program (see NETVIGATOR -- Customer Service Homepage > Technical Support > Broadband Service > Installation Guide). I checked that signal LED on DSL modem OK but I couldn't get IP from my ISP. I checked Internet connection settings from control panel which I found of range 169.x.x.x. I tried right clicked on LAN conenction icon and select recover option to force request IP from ISP but failed. Besides, the SPEED LED of LAN port lit on in ORANGE while ACT/LINK LED was OFF.

To check if problem source was my LAN port. I manually assigned an IP 192.168.1.1 to the port. XP reported assignment & I could check back this IP by typing ipconfig/all from DOS prompt. When I tried pinging 192.168.1.1 I got error response "Request timed out". Yet, when I pinged 127.0.0.1, the response was normal.

I didn't know what's wrong with my LAN port. Could anyone suggest a solution please ?

Did you intall the Intel INF then the Ethernet drivers?

Actually, I had installed LAN driver before (but at that I'm busy troubleshooting my onboard sound problem and not yet addressed LAN connection issue). I repeated uninstall LAN driver->select device manager LAN interface card to delete entries->reboot PC->reinstall LAN driver(turn DSL modem ON & OFF several times. Ultimately ping to manual assigned IP succeed. Connection to internet also succeed as I executed ISP provided login program.

But now I have two outstanding issues:

1) Control Panel -> Network Connection -> LAN connection status should be "Connected" but it's always "Unrecoverable" as before network connection issue resolved.

2) Device Manager->LAN card entry is Realtek...Ethernet NIC #5 instead of Realtek...Ethernet NIC

Any suggestions to change status & name back to normal ?:D

Ok first, uninstall the driver, reboot your PC and go back into Device Manager and see that the driver did uninstall. When you go to reinstall the driver do not let windows search for it, choose Specify location, browse to the location of the INF file on the CD or whatever media you have it on, then click next, it should install the driver correctly. Now reboot the computer, go into device manger and see if the driver installed correctly.

After you verify that your driver is installed correctly. Under internet options on TCP/IP settings choose obtain automatically by DHCP on both IP & DNS sections. If you still have problems there do this:

Click Start>Click on Run...
Type in "cmd" (without quotations)
in the command prompt type "ipconfig /release"
This action clears your IP address and so fourth
then type "ipconfig /renew"
if your computer still reports a 169.x.x.x address you're still having problems and there are one or two things that might be going on:

1. Your onboard LAN is dead.
2. Windows has currupted files, might be mixed between driver software and windows software. In this case I would try a Windows Repair (only for xp & 2000). If you do attempt to do a repair, back up all your data that is on the windows partition (usually drive C). When you boot to your Windows XP disk, press enter, on the next screen of instructions choose to do a repair, do not mistake the repair option (recovery console) at the first menu screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom