Cheapest Q6600 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
why are you desperate for quad core???

I wouldn't said desperate but the next DX10 games will take advantage/support not only of Dual-core but Quad-core too he obviously want the best performance possible that can afford well at least thats what I think I would do ;) .

again i have talked to a person that has meetings with nvidia etc.. he was told at one of the meetings all about crysis and that it will not be as demanding in cpu as gfx. but im not too sure if this is accurate. i originally got my q6600 for dx10 gaming aswell. also didnt see ne talk of a cooler here. i recommened either the tuniq tower or thermalright 120 extreme, the 120 being the better choice bundled with a good fan. i got mine to 3.2ghz right now. and is sitting at 58-60 load. so my tuniq doing a great job i think

again i have talked to a person that has meetings with nvidia etc.. he was told at one of the meetings all about crysis and that it will not be as demanding in cpu as gfx. but im not too sure if this is accurate. i originally got my q6600 for dx10 gaming aswell. also didnt see ne talk of a cooler here. i recommened either the tuniq tower or thermalright 120 extreme, the 120 being the better choice bundled with a good fan. i got mine to 3.2ghz right now. and is sitting at 58-60 load. so my tuniq doing a great job i think

Your post confuses me a bit. Isn't the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro good enough? Do I need more CPU cooling on top of that for a q6600?

The Quad-Core is a little different and I'm not too sure on how hot it runs but I imagine it can't be much hotter than a Dual-Core but this is possible since it takes double the watts of a dual-core.

The Arctic freezer pro is sufficient for good overclocks on a Dual-Core but a Quad-Core may be a different story. Baron owns one and you can take his word for it if he says his Tuniq barley keeps it cool enough so I suggest you pick up a Tuniq then, unless you can find a Thermalright 120 extreme. Look on eqiz.com and svc.com for cheap cooler prices.

Would I be alright just using the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro because I don't plan on overclocking when I initially get my rig. I'll probrably get more cooling later down the road when I start overclocking but arctic 7 good enough just for normal use?

The stock heatsink is good enough for normal use really...

We recommend the Arctic Freezer for good cheap overclocks.

Someone needs to come out with a "dual 775 socket" motherboard. Then we can run 2xQ6600's for 8 tasty cores. Oh, and make sure it's an enthusiast board with lots of overclocking potential. With SLI and lot's of memory.

Hrmm does Intel have the technology for that though. I mean I know AMD has been perfecting their dual-socket boards lately and I know Intel has done it but would they be ready to make a chipset for it?

I own a QX6700 and if you want nice cooling, it is a pain to find. I started with the noisy stock cooler that hardly worked. I got 50-52 idle and could get up to 65 just playing BF2. I upgraded to a Zalman 9700 and could keep it at around 43-44 idle but it couldn't keep up when it hit load. I would get 60s again on load. I finally got the money together and bought a water-cooling setup that works pretty sweet. I can keep 30-34 idle and mid 40s on heavy load. I also have it running 3.3GHz stable.

P.S. I didnt overclock until I got my watercooling so those high temps were all at stock.

My point is, if you are happy with high load temps, that Arctic will do you fine on stock. Don't buy watercooling unless you plan on overclocking and doing alot of heavy load work.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom