The Battle of the Thermal Compunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Battle of the Thermal Pastes.....

the best way to keep ur temps doen are low room temps

Not so much room temps as temps in general inside a case itself. You can still see a system cook in an air conditioned room in there's no good air flow going through the case to blast the heated air out. Good intake to draw in cooler air along with having good exhaust will keep temps down along with keeping air moving around insdie the case.

The Artic Silver name is the common household name there. Whenever someone asks about a good thermal paste these days... AS5! AS5! AS5! is all you ever hear. What made that popular is silver particles mixed into the compound there compared to ceramic type white pastes.

AS5 is easy to apply, cheap, and effective. I wouldn't recommend an 8800 Ultra to the rich people either since I feel it is a huge waste. I mean I guess it's nice and if you really want to spend the money but when it comes to recommendations just as I would recommend a single 8800GTX over the Ultra I recommend AS5 over the Liquid Pro and etc.

The thing to note about AS5 is the ease of cleaning it off with denatured alcohol if you need to reapply it as eventually it loses heat transfer capability. With an epoxy type compound that Liquid Pro seems to be that seems to a one shot deal there. Besides the lower cost and ease of cleaning it always seems to work well.

With a good load the cpu here remains between 36-38C. The max seen was 43C with a top load and being on day and night. The idle stays about 33-34C. AS5 works here.

I was just wondering. What do those LN2 users, use as thermal paste?

hrrm...I was under the impression that they didn't use thermal paste but who knows I don't use LN2

I bought the Liquid Pro once and will never do it again. Once is sets it almost seems to braze the CPU and HSF together making it very difficult to remove..and once you do separate them there's all kind of metal crap left on the CPU and heatsink that can't be completely removed unless you sand it off.

just a pointer for those interesting in buying it ;)

"Dont use on aluminum coolers! I did some research... its not that aluminum coolers are "cheap" but this stuff is really gallium. When mixed together, the two combine into one creating a bubbly compound when mixed with water. This stuff is almost impossible to clean off. If gallium was meant to be put on processors it would have been done a long time ago."

"Use on only pure copper heatsinks!"

What one reviewer said about the liquid Pro.

"Dont use on aluminum coolers! I did some research... its not that aluminum coolers are "cheap" but this stuff is really gallium. When mixed together, the two combine into one creating a bubbly compound when mixed with water. This stuff is almost impossible to clean off. If gallium was meant to be put on processors it would have been done a long time ago."

"Use on only pure copper heatsinks!"

What one reviewer said about the liquid Pro.

Yeah the manufacturer says not to use on aluminum as well..it corrodes it...but my cooler was copper...as for the processor IHS, it's not aluminum either.

I was just wondering. What do those LN2 users, use as thermal paste?

Most LN2/Dry Ice users use the Arctic Silver Ceramique as it does alot better at low temperatures than AS5 and it also has better condensation protection properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom