Problem with HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpx_rodder

Baseband Member
I have a hardrive that the owner would like all the files to be recovered from.... the only problem is, when I hook it up into my machine, the computer will recognize it, but it shows that the whole hard drive is used (in blue) with no available space. Not a problem, but when I double click on the drive, it says it's not formatted.

I am thinking all of the data is lost... any ideas?

Did you try a disk recovery program. As long as your computer can read the data, you should be able to retrieve it.

The computer will not boot to the hard drive... i put it in my machine and set it as a slave drive, and the computer can recognize it, but if you try to open up the folder it just says the disk is unformatted and cannot be opened.

here is a suggestion. download a live distro of linux such as knoppix. burn the cd and boot off that CD with the hdd attached as slave. see if linux can read the data off it and maybe it can copy some stuff to the other drive for backup.

I have found this to work sometimes when windows wont read the drive for some reason or another. windows tends to really freak out when a system file is damaged or such. have had windows freeze up with a slave drive that had a bad system file. but linux read it just fine

let us know if that works

Well, there is another problem as well. When I hook up the HDD, my cd-rom stops working.... im not sure why... lol

Thank you for the idea though, I will give it a shot if I can get it to work with my cd player.

The computer will not boot to the hard drive... i put it in my machine and set it as a slave drive, and the computer can recognize it, but if you try to open up the folder it just says the disk is unformatted and cannot be opened.

A file recovery program should be able to open files as long as there is something to read. You can reformat the hard drive and the programs can still recover some data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom