Which CPU between intel and amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plan has been to wait and I guess I am looking for more reasons to wait. So far, as I said, waiting has let the price of the e6700 to drop from about $550 to $350 and I'd like to do the same with the graphics cards but if any other significant changes are coming soon like quad cores or dx10 cards I guess I might end up waiting a few months. And I'm glad so many people are pushing the e6700 as better since I've been using an intel chip now for 7 years and I was not really wanting to change.

So, if anyone knows any more predictions on significant price drops in the next few months please share...

Codeguru

Wait, why are you still going for the e6700? It's better than the X2 6000+, but get the e6600 instead. It's only 200MHz slower and cheaper. So just overclock the e6600, 200MHz. Then you got yourself an e6700, without spending the extra money.

Well I'd rather not skimp on the chip. If they are indeed lowering the prices on july 22 then I'm definately going for the highest one. Though if I were planning to not overclock do you think it would be worth the price? I've never really tried to overclock any CPU before, does it lower the life expectancy of the chip by running it harder? My current CPU is a P4 2.4ghz but for some reason when I set my BIOS to manual instead of the 2400 option on the chip setting it runs at 1.8ghz. Did they sell me a chip based on its overclock speed?...

Codeguru

I think it's running on a low power state, which will cause it to downclock. I could be wrong.

But overclocking is safe, now a days. And if you overclock to high, you just have to reset the CMOS, and everything is back to default. It does lower the life, but not significantly. The CPU has an average lifespan of 10 years, and overclocking, takes away about 1-2 years, depending on how heavy you overclock it. Now in 8 years or so, will you be using, the same processor? I doubt it.

Also you're not skimping, even though, you go for the lowest chip, because all the C2Ds, overclock reall really well. So the lowest one, can overclock near or to the highest, while saving hundreds of dollars.

b1gapl nos wat he talking bout. its just not worth spending the extra momney on sumthin u can achieve ur self in a couple of hours. o/c really isnt too hard just look up sum tutorials in google or if i recall correctly there is even sum here on TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom