Nvidia G92 will be a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think ati is really slowing down in the gfx departement ever since AMD bought them and im guessing with the fact that amd is making its own chipsets again that there going to go more towards the mid range/office desktop with integrated gfx in the neer future as ATI can barely keep up as is but i guesse we will all see what is going on in the neer future or sometime next year b ecause maybe ati is releasing junk now so they can spend more time on a secret beast there developing right now oh well well never know until its released

even with the 8800gtx, i've read you even need to overclock the fastest core 2's to utilize the 8800gtx's full potential, before long most people will have their video cards bottlenecked by processors.

so the question of the day, guys...:
how do we know how far to overclock our processors in order to keep the cpu from bottlenecking the graphics card?
let's use an example:
a 2.0ghz dual core cpu
and a single 7900gs. you can substitute whatever gpu you want in the equation>>>and either brand cpu>>>
anyone know the real formula?

When is the AMD-ATI card that is suppose to compete with the GTX going to be released ?

I believe is call the Radeon 2900XTX corrrect?!?

"how do we know how far to overclock our processors in order to keep the cpu from bottlenecking the graphics card?"

going to take a lot of researching benchmarks to find the answer.

lets take a 2ghz core 2 duo and an 8800gtx, run for 3dmark06 for instance and get a score of 100, then oc the cpu to 2.2 and get a score of 115 for a 15 point improvement, then oc it to 2.4 and get a score of 120 for a 5 point improvement, then oc it to 2.6 and get a score of 120 where you get no improvement.

The reason why the score kept going up was your processor bottlenecked the gpu, the reason why your score was 120 when your cpu was at both speeds 2.4 and 2.6 was because at those speeds your gpu was being fully utilized and any further oc's to the cpu won't offer any gains.

Finding that sweet spot is key for maximizing performance.

^^very true^^
say you get the full utilization of your graphics card...using your example at 2.6
now, as you overclock your cpu more, and your ram, your score will continue to rise.
i get a definite increase by running my cpu at high high speeds...but really i see the highest increase by running my ram as fast as possible.
if the free version of 3dmark had gpu only and cpu only tests, this would be easier for me to figure. that way you could max both out, one at a time.
actually i guess it does, as it gives you scores for both there at the end....
i suppose you can keep cranking up the overclocks (gpu, ram, cpu) one at a time and running the benchmarks..checking results after each step. although i do find that my best performance is not at maximum stable overclock, it actually performs better a little less than that.
more research to follow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom