Computer for university, opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
Hey guys, I'm at the point right now where I have to start getting my stuff together for university, next year. Why I am doing this right now you may ask, well because I will be living on campus in Ottowa which is basically in another city (for you users who may not know). So I have alot of stuff to buy. A friend of mine introduced me to this store called ETC Computers. The store componets as well as very well priced pre-built computers with the option to customize them. Another friend of mine bought a computer from there Pentium D, and its great for $700 (specs im not to sure about). Anyways I'm going to need to get a new computer for uni. I know I have my new computer (In my sig). I paid over 2 gran to build the system alone (myslef) + another $1800 for the monitor. So I'm not going to bring it with me, I'm going to be in redience. Im going to be sharing a room with someone esle until I can switch into a single dorm. So I dont want to bring it with me and have someone steal it or my roommate to ruin it. I'd rather have my brother and sister use it, get the moneys worth out of it and have them break it.
Now down to business. I was shopping around on there site and I found an affordable system for 294 dollars before taxes. Now I cant build a system with that money. So thats why Im looking into it. Now I was hoping to get some opinions on it.

Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 631, 3.0 GHz 800MHz FSB LGA775 2MB
512 DDR400 PC3200 Major Brand Memory
ASRock 775i65G (Onboard Video,AGP,DDR,SATA)
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA II (WD800JD)
LG 18X GSA-H54N DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Rewriter (Beige)
Standard ATX 226 Case (Beige)
ATX 450W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro (Im going to install it, casue it comes with no OS)

Site to check it out:
http://www.etccomputer.ca/eShop/defa...&systemid=1244 (should lead you to the customize page)
ETC Computer (should lead you to the P4 overview page, the system is Value - Intel Pentium 4 LGA775, AGP, DDR Computer)

hmm, being as it is a university, maybe a laptop would be a better choice? it may be more expensive, but it uses less power, so i guess it could be cheaper in the long run if you have to pay for the power.

but for the parts in that computer, that is an excellent deal, i just wonder what each of the parts cost. (2 reasons: see if they are ripping you off or being really really nice and taking like 2% off the top of the cost)

I don't really want to go the laptop route. I personally like them that much, like I'm not to fond of them. So in the end I would prefer to get a desktop, cause most of my work/labs will be on a desktop.
Memory 37.00
Processor 78.00
Motheboard 56.00
Hard Drive 51.00
DVD Burner 38.00
Power Suppy 15.00
Case 20.00

ok, it seems all pretty good, but $15 for a 450w is just screaming trouble. i would get the pc as it is a good deal, just keep a backup psu on hand. (or get the a warranty, or both, lol) for that system 450w should do it, but just remember, you get what you pay for, and everything looks good but the psu.

well here is some newegg links to the parts:

Newegg.com - ASRock 775i65G LGA 775 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

but i cant even find the brand of the psu that it ships with, so i recommend
ETC Computer - Thermaltake
this one. just for the sake of making sure that the pc doesn't die on you, because that tends to happen at the worst of times.

cool, yea i seen that, i was gonna reply last night, but the house is being remodled, currently im set up on the back patio via wireless, lol.

well, just get a usb stick for important stuff incase the system does go down, which i doubt it does, most people who get the psu's that come with cases completely load it to the max and it fries, i am gussing that system only needs about 140w so it should be good

definately get a desktop, try to build one or may be buy a good one. but definatelly a desktop. thats what i did, and i am in college and i take my computer there when college starts.

The only thing i suggest is that get 160gb hardrive, 15 bucks for double the space seems worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom