FAT32 to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mssssee2

Graphic Designer
I have a portal HDD 250GB which unfortenately was firstly partioned in FAT32 format, so a file must not exceed the limit of 4GB, if I format the disc is there any possibility of converting the partition to NTFS, I know that can be done on a usual HDD wich is connected with ATAPI etc. It is a Western Digital (My book essential) 250GB. I need your help, cause I want to know whether a format should be done or not, and if it would be worth backing up the drive.

An easier way would be to load up a command prompt, type in:
convert <drive letter> /FS:NTFS

This way you won't lose any information on the drive. But as a thing of due course, always make sure yuo back up important information before doing anything that could cause data loss.

I'm pretty sure most portable HDD are standard in FAT32, I know all the ones I have are FAT16 or FAT32...reformatting it shouldn't be a problem, but like everyone says. Just back up your data anyways if you really need it and play it safe.

This way you won't lose any information on the drive. But as a thing of due course, always make sure yuo back up important information before doing anything that could cause data loss.

This will work and most portable Hard drives come in NTFS now

Oh thanks, Idin't new that you could convert from FAT to NTFS without losing data. I'll try it but firstly i will back up the most important files not to unexpectedly lose them.

good idea. there is always a chance of data loss in doing a conversion like that. doesnt usually happen but would suck if you got unlucky and it lost data without a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom